Monday, 1 March 2010
So this is my first Valhallan Basilisk fully painted. This is one of a few camo ideas I'm going to use for my artillery. It's done quite simply: Base coat of chaos black. Heavily dry brushed in a mix of 1:2 scorched brown:bleached bone. Then using one of the foam pieces you get in blisters, sponging on skull white. It gives quite a good rustic snow effect. I'm going to use this for my 'older' looking basilisks, while the new ones will have a more factory fresh and uniform camo of light greys and whites in a classic camo pattern.
Sunday, 14 February 2010
Tuesday, 2 February 2010
Pattern 1: black smudges
Pattern 2: Catachan Green Splodges
Pattern 3: Grey and Black Geometric Camo
Sunday, 24 January 2010
Thursday, 14 January 2010
White Dwarf 183
Wednesday, 13 January 2010
It has this extra command unit on the side. I haven't seen these anywhere else, but if I'm wrong please correct me.
Also a battle-hardened Basilisk:
Needs a bit of a clean up, and I think I'll add some sandbags on the sides when I get some more green stuff
Friday, 8 January 2010
I was worried that a white colour scheme wouldn't have much contrast, however, I'm pretty damn happy with how these guys turned out. My general painting formula was:
Primer: Skull White
Basecoat: Astronomican Grey
Wash: Badab Black
Layer 1: 1:1 Astronomican Grey/Skull White
Layer 2: 1:2 Astronomican Grey/Skull White
Layer 3: Thinned Skull White
Layer 4: Thinned Skull White
Extreme Highlights: Skull White
I also tried a couple of different techniques for the bases. The flamer has the GW snow baser on it. I personally don't like this... It has a very fluffy (not 'fluffy') look to it, not the right type of snow for me. I also experimented with bicarbonate with PVA for the Troopers base, this is closer to what I want. I might take some advise from Müller's Minatures from Valhall.
Since it has been snowing pretty heavily I couldn't resist taking some photos of these miniatures in the snow. Have a look:
Thursday, 7 January 2010
Vahallan Basilisk #1
Wednesday, 6 January 2010
- 4-6" of Green Stuff
- Modelling knife/ Stanley Knife
- Pot of water to make sure your fingers/work surface don't get stuck to the green stuff
- Sieve/ Strainer/ Metal Gauze/ Netting
Step 1: Grab your green stuff and mix it together until you can no longer see and yellow or blue streaks.
Roll your green stuff into a long thin cylinder about 8" in length and 1/4 - 1/2" in diameter.
Step 3: Grab your knife and cut the green stuff into 1/2" chunks:
Using the knife score a line into the edges of the bags.
Grab your sieve
Press the gauze gently into the top of all the sand bags. This gives them a nice material texture. The finer the netting of the gauze the more realistic it will look.
The Final Result:
Looks half decent and doesn't cost a lot. Use them on bases, heavy weapon emplacements, defence lines or anywhere else!
Valhallan Voxcaster with Bandolier
They are the Militia winter head sprues: 20 heads for £4. I plan to use these heads on Cadian bodies for veterans, and for my command squad.
I also bought some Catachan commlinks to make some cheap voxcasters (£7 a piece for a Valhallan voxcaster). I got them off a quality guy on eBay that I've bough off before who mainly sells bitz: miniaturmen07. Check him out if you need a few bitz 'n' bobs.